If you were arrested for being drunk in public also known as public intoxication in San Diego, it is important to know what consequences you may be facing. Under California Penal Code section 647(f), it is a misdemeanor to be found in any public place under the influence of any liquor, drug or controlled substance if:
- The person’s public intoxication makes him or her unable to exercise care for his or her own safety or the safety of others; or
- By reason of the public intoxication, the person “interferes with or obstructs or prevents the free use of any street, sidewalk, or other public way.”
If you are convicted of misdemeanor public intoxication you may face up to six months in county jail and a fine of up to one thousand dollars ($1,000). A public intoxication conviction can also result in more than just jail time and fines. A conviction for public intoxication for a defendant who is under the age of 21 may result in a suspension of the defendant’s driver’s license for a year (C.V.C. 13202.5).
Due to the severity of the possible consequences you may be facing, it is vital that you hire an experienced San Diego criminal defense law firm who knows the proper defenses for your case. Public intoxication laws in California can be very subjective. Often times the arrest is solely based on the police officer’s opinion. An experienced attorney at Wallin & Klarich can help to defend you if you are accused of public intoxication by raising some or all of the following defenses on your behalf::
- You were not under the influence of any alcohol, drug, or controlled substance at the time of the arrest.
- You were not intoxicated in a “public place”.
- You were not a danger to yourself or others.
- You did not obstruct public way.
If you or a loved one are accused of public intoxication in San Diego, it is vital that you hire an experienced public intoxication attorney. At Wallin & Klarich, our attorneys have the knowledge and skill that comes with over 30 years of experience in handling all types of alcohol/drug related matters. We will aggressively represent your interests and keep you well informed on your case. Call us at (877) 4-NO-JAIL or (877) 466-5245. We will be there when you call.