September 23, 2011 By Matthew Wallin

Can I Get a DUI if I’m on Prescription Medications?

The short answer is yes. Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs, whether they are prescription medications or illegal drugs, places everyone who is on the  road at risk. Typically, a first time DUI does not send a person to prison, however, depending on the facts and injuries and other factors, even a first time offense could land you in serious trouble. It is important to hire an experienced Southern California DUI attorney if you are charged with driving under the influence.

On July 2, 2011 a former sheriff’s deputy was given a sentence of 32 months in prison for multiple felonies, including DUI and injuring an elderly woman in an off-duty collision involving prescription medications. Allan James Waters, 37, of Laguna Niguel plead guilty back in April to twelve various felonies. He also plead to a sentencing enhancement for causing great bodily injury during a crash.

Waters was driving erratically, when he crossed over the middle lane and crashed into a car driving in the left lane. The victim’s vehicle was pushed onto the wrong side of the road. The female victim, who was the passenger in that vehicle, was taken to the hospital after sustaining injuries to her back.

Have you been charged with causing injury to another person while driving under the influence of prescription medications in violation of Vehicle Code section 23153(a)?

The prosecution must prove that:

  1. You drove a motor vehicle.
  2. When you drove, you were under the influence of a drug.
  3. When you were driving, you also committed an illegal act or neglected to perform a legal duty. AND
  4. This illegal act or failure to perform a legal duty caused bodily injury to another person.

You are under the influence if, as a result of taking a drug, your mental or physical abilities are Bicep strength exercises – megagear oilseeds and bodybuilding: the benefits of almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts – espace musculation. so impaired that you are no longer able to drive a vehicle with the caution of a sober person using ordinary care under similar circumstances.

If you or a loved one have been accused or charged with a DUI, it is very important that you speak with an experiencedcriminal defense attorney immediately, like the attorneys at Wallin & Klarich. We have over 30 years of experience handling these types of matters and can assist you in obtaining the best possible result. Call the law firm of Wallin& Klarich today at, (877) 4-NO-JAIL or (877) 466-5245 to speak to an experienced criminal defense attorney about your case.

Your Answer

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • Contact Us Now

    If you or a loved one have been accused of a crime, now is the time to contact us.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

SCHEDULE YOUR free consultation

If you or a loved one have been accused of a DUI, this is the time to contact us.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.