If you have been charged with vehicular manslaughter in San Bernardino after being involved in a fatal car accident, it is important that you contact a team of defense attorneys experienced in vehicular manslaughter cases. Our attorneys at Wallin & Klarich have over 30 years of experience in vehicular manslaughter defense. We are ready to answer any questions you have about a vehicular manslaughter charge.
California Penal Code section 192(c) defines vehicular manslaughter as driving a vehicle unlawfully, not amounting to a felony, and with gross negligence or driving a vehicle lawfully in a manner that might produce death, and with or without gross negligence.
Vehicular Manslaughter Punishment
The sentencing and punishment for vehicular manslaughter in San Bernardino can be severe. A vehicular manslaughter conviction can lead to a lengthy jail sentence. Below is a more detailed explanation of the levels of punishment for various categories of vehicular manslaughter.
Under California Penal Code section 193, the sentencing and punishment for vehicular manslaughter depends on whether the offense is charged as a misdemeanor or felony. Vehicular manslaughter is considered a “wobbler” in California. That is to say, your act of vehicular manslaughter can be charged as either a felony or misdemeanor offense depending upon the facts of your case and your prior criminal history.
- Misdemeanor vehicular manslaughter is punishable by up to a year in county jail
- Felony vehicular manslaughter is punishable by up to 6 years in state prison
- An accident caused for financial gain that resulted in the death of another person is punishable by a sentence of up to 10 years in state prison
- Fleeing the scene after committing an act of vehicular manslaughter can result in an additional term of imprisonment of 5 years in state prison
Fortunately, depending on the circumstances of your case, an experienced criminal defense law firm like Wallin & Klarich may be able to secure a substantially reduced sentence for you. In lieu of a lengthy jail sentence, the court may:
- Place you on probation and impose a sentence of up to one year in county jail
- Place you on probation with no jail time, but order you to do community service or a work release program; or
- Place you on formal probation and assign you a probation officer
San Bernardino Vehicular Manslaughter Defense Attorney
The sentencing and punishment for vehicular manslaughter in San Bernardino can be devastating. If you or someone you know has been accused of this offense, you need to contact an experienced San Bernardino vehicular manslaughter defense attorney who will carefully review the facts and the law to give you the best representation possible. With offices in Orange, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Bernardino, Riverside, and Ventura counties, Wallin & Klarich has over 30 years of experience in defending our clients against vehicular manslaughter charges. We will carefully review the evidence against you and help protect your legal rights.
If you are facing prosecution for vehicular manslaughter in San Bernardino, call our highly skilled San Bernardino Vehicular Manslaughter defense attorneys today at (877) 4-NO-JAIL or (877) 466-5245. We will get through this together.