NBC Sports reports that Cleveland Browns defensive end Armonty Bryant was charged in Oklahoma with misdemeanor DUI on Tuesday May 7, 2013. Bryant was arrested on May 3, 2013. According to the police report, he had a blood alcohol content of 0.098. Bryant must pay $1,136 in fines and court costs. His sentence includes mandatory listening to a victim’s impact panel on the dangers of drunk driving.
Prosecution of DUI
Being charged with a DUI is not a joke; it is a very serious matter. If Bryant was charged in California under similar circumstances, in order to convict him the prosecution would have to prove that when he drove a vehicle, either of the following situations applied:
• He was under the influence of an alcoholic beverage and/or drug to the extent that his mental or physical abilities were so impaired that he no longer was able to drive a vehicle with the caution of a sober person, using ordinary care, under similar circumstances.
• His blood alcohol level was 0.08 percent or more.
Punishment for DUI if Convicted
Punishment for a DUI in California is among the most severe in the nation. If Bryant was convicted for a first-time DUI under CVC 23152, he could be punished by imprisonment in county jail for up to 6 months, and fined up to $1,000. Upon being convicted under CVC 23152, the DMV would suspend his driver’s license for a period of 6 months under CVC 13352.
Most people convicted of a California DUI are put on probation. DUI probation allows those convicted of a DUI to avoid incarceration if they meet certain conditions. Under CVC 23600, if Bryant were put on probation, his probation would include the following, among other things:
• A probationary period of three to five years
• A requirement that he not drive a vehicle with any measurable amount of alcohol in his system
• A requirement that if he were to be arrested for a second DUI, he not refuse to submit to a blood, breath or urine test, for the purposes of determining the alcohol content in his system
• A requirement that he enroll and successfully complete a driving-under-the-influence program
California DUI Attorney
If you face DUI charges in California, you should immediately contact the experienced California DUI attorneys from Wallin & Klarich. Wallin & Klarich has successfully defended clients facing DUI charges for over 30 years. Our many years of experience allow us to provide an aggressive DUI defense that oftentimes results in our clients cases being dismissed or reducing the charges.
If you retain us, we will at once review the police report regarding your arrest line by line. We will then get a complete statement from you about the circumstances surrounding your arrest. This careful fact-gathering will allow us to prepare the most effective defense strategy relevant to your specific case to help you avoid jail time.
You don’t have to be a world class athlete like Armonty Bryant to secure a top quality DUI defense. If you face DUI charges in California, contact Wallin & Klarich to fight for your rights. We have the skill and experience to help you win your case. Our offices are located in Orange County, Los Angeles, San Diego, Riverside, San Bernardino, Ventura, West Covina, Victorville, Torrance, and Sherman Oaks. Call us today at (877) 4-NO-JAIL or (877) 466-5245. We will be there when you call.