If you have been charged with DUI causing injury in Riverside (California Vehicle Code section 23153), you need to contact a Riverside Wallin & Klarich attorney right away because a DUI causing injury conviction carries much more severe punishments and penalties than a traditional DUI conviction (under California Vehicle Code section 23152). Hiring a Riverside Wallin & Klarich DUI Defense Attorney early on in your case is the most effective way to protect yourself from criminal liability.
Prosecuting a DUI Causing Injury Charge
To convict you of a DUI causing injury charge in Riverside, the prosecution must prove that:
- You were driving under the influence
- You committed an illegal act or neglected to perform a legal duty; AND
- Another person was injured as a result of your illegal act or failure to perform your legal duty
Punishment for DUI Causing Injury in Riverside
The consequences for a DUI causing injury conviction can be harsh. The offense is considered a “wobbler.” This means it can be charged as either a misdemeanor or felony depending on the facts of your case and your prior criminal history.
Due to the significant discretion the prosecutor holds, you need to hire a Riverside DUI Defense Attorney at the earliest possible stage of your case since your attorney would know best how to influence the prosecutor’s decision-making process. Your experienced Riverside Wallin & Klarich DUI Defense Attorney can negotiate with the prosecutor to achieve the best possible result in your case.
First, a skilled Wallin & Klarich DUI Defense Attorney will attempt to persuade the prosecutor to drop the charges completely. If the prosecutor is unwilling to drop the charges, the attorney may successfully negotiate a reduction in the charge, from a felony to a misdemeanor.
Another possible reduction would be to a misdemeanor DUI conviction under California Vehicle Code Section 23152 that does not carry punishments as severe as a DUI causing injury conviction. Your Wallin & Klarich DUI Defense Attorney can also request a sentence of probation with no jail time.
If the court grants probation, the terms may include:
- A period of probation between three and five years
- A requirement that you shall not drive a vehicle with any measurable amount of alcohol in your blood
- A requirement that, if arrested for a violation of Section 23152 or 23153, you shall not refuse to submit to a chemical test of your blood, breath, or urine for the purpose of determining the alcoholic content of your blood; AND
- A requirement that you shall not commit any criminal offense
Be sure to call a Riverside Wallin & Klarich DUI Defense Attorney to learn more about the court’s sentencing options.
Riverside DUI Defense Attorney
The Riverside DUI Defense Attorneys at Wallin & Klarich have successfully defended DUI causing injury cases for over 30 years. Our Riverside DUI lawyers will defend your rights through every stage of the criminal process and contribute crucial legal advice that may help you win your case. We have offices in Orange County, Los Angeles, San Diego, Riverside, San Bernardino, Ventura, Victorville, West Covina, Torrance, and Sherman Oaks.
Call us today at (877) 4-NO-JAIL or (877) 466-5245. We will get through this together.